After a woman was killed by potting mix, health officials issued a dire warning about Legionnaire’s disease.
After a woman in Sydney died from a disease contracted from potting mix, health officials issued a dire warning out of fear for the spread of the infection.
Since a Sydney woman recently passed away from Legionnaire’s disease, health officials have issued a dire warning to anyone who uses potting mix.
The Sydney woman in her 60s died from the disease after using potting mix, prompting the warning from NSW Health.
Gardening may have been the source of the woman’s lung infection; the bacteria are thought to have been inhaled.
Despite everyone’s best efforts, she succumbed to her illness in the hospital.
Gardeners should protect themselves from Legionnaires’ disease by using protective gear when working with potting soil and composts.
According to NSW Health, “the lung infection can be caused by inhaling dust from contaminated soil,” which contains the bacterium Legionella longbeachae.
According to Jeremy McAnulty, the executive director of NSW Health, the disease is more likely to affect the elderly if they smoke or have a compromised immune system.
Dr. McAnulty reassured his patients that “most people who breathe in the bacteria do not become ill,” though he did note that the risk of infection increased with age, smoking, and a compromised immune system.
As the author puts it, “Wetting the potting mix first also helps prevent any contaminated potting mix dust blowing up into the air and being inhaled.”
The bacteria may still be on your hands even after wearing gloves, so be sure to wash them thoroughly with soap and water before consuming anything.
Legionnaires’ disease is characterized by inflammation of the lungs, which manifests as a high temperature, chills, difficulty breathing, cough, lack of appetite, and aches and pains.
The bacteria can be found in soils and potting mixes, and they frequently multiply in bagged potting mixes, mulch, and other products. Symptoms can appear anywhere from two to ten days after exposure.
So far this year, there have been 96 confirmed cases of legionnaires’ disease in New South Wales (NSW), down from 106 in 2021.
Wearing a face mask and gardening gloves is recommended before opening a bag of potting mix, as recommended by Dr. McAnulty.
A different type of bacteria is the usual culprit in the spread of Legionnaires’ disease, and it frequently congregates in the cooling systems of large buildings’ central air conditioning systems.
Anyone experiencing persistent symptoms is strongly encouraged by NSW Health to seek medical attention.