Fed ex shooting Indianapolis airport, gunfire active shooter eight killed

The scene outside a FedEx facility in Indianapolis late Thursday night, April 15, 2021, where several people were allegedly shot.

The scene outside a FedEx facility in Indianapolis late Thursday night, April 15, 2021, where several people were allegedly shot.

At least eight people were killed and several others were wounded in a late-night shooting at a FedEx facility in Indianapolis.

Late Thursday, a gunman opened fire outside an Indianapolis FedEx facility before unleashing a shower of bullets on those working the night shift inside, killing eight people before turning the gun on himself, officials said.

The violence began in a parking lot outside the building and lasted less than two minutes, Indianapolis police Deputy Chief Craig McCartt told CNN early Friday. He said that the suspect, who has not been named, exited his vehicle, “quickly started shooting,” and then entered the building.

Once inside, he “did not make a great deal of progress,” McCartt added.

Around 11 p.m., police responded to reports of gunfire and instantly “came into contact with (an) active shooter,” according to Genae Cook of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. According to police, the gunman turned the weapon on himself as officers closed in.

He has not been named, and it is unknown whether he worked at the FedEx facility near Indianapolis International Airport.

Multiple people were allegedly fired at the FedEx Ground facility in Indianapolis, Indiana, early Friday, April 16, 2021.

“We are still investigating the precise nature and cause of this incident,” Cook told reporters.

Five additional people were hospitalized in the aftermath of the fatal attack, including one victim who sustained serious injuries. Two additional individuals were treated and released from the scene by medics.

Others walked themselves to local hospitals for treatment, authorities said, making it impossible to determine how many people were injured in the late-night shooting.

According to one witness, he was working as normal late Thursday when his shift devolved into violence.

“I see a man enter with a gun in his hand and immediately begins shooting and yellin’ things that I had no idea what he was saying,” Levi Miller told the news station.

“What I ended up doing was ducking down to avoid him seeing me, as I was afraid he would see me and shoot me.”

Hours after the shooting occurred, family members and friends huddled inside the designated reunification center, a Holiday Inn Express, where they began to wonder whether their loved ones were among the dead or wounded.

Family members await information about their loved ones who work at the FedEx facility at 8951 Mirabel Road in Indianapolis where a mass casualty shooting occurred about 11 p.m. April 15, 2021.

“I’m simply concerned for my father,” Ashlee Floyd told the Indianapolis Star. “I’m not sure if he’s all right. I’m not sure if he’s hurt. I’m not sure if he’s gone. I’m simply terrified right now.”

The deadly incident is the latest in a string of mass shootings that have occurred across the country this week, and the third in Indianapolis alone this year.

“We are devastated and shocked by the devastating loss of our team members at our FedEx Ground facility in Indianapolis,” the company said.

“Our deepest sympathies go out to all those impacted by this senseless act of violence. Our team members’ safety is our primary concern, and we are completely working with investigating authorities.”

Congressman André Carson, D-Indianapolis, released a statement via Twitter shortly before 3 a.m.

“I am devastated by the mass shooting at the FedEx facility in Indianapolis and am praying for the victims and their families. I am in contact with local authorities to ascertain the full extent of the attack, and my office stands ready to assist those affected in any way possible.”

There has been a shooting in the US city of Indianapolis. Local media say multiple people have been taken to hospitals in the area. Police were called to respond to reports of shots fired at a FedEx facility on the southwest side of the city near Indianapolis International Airport. The police have confirmed that the gunman is dead and say they do not believe the general public is in immediate danger.
Exit mobile version