The distraught mother of twin kids who perished in a house fire in Byron Bay begs with detectives.
The mother of twin daughters who tragically perished in a house fire in Byron Bay, thought to have been sparked by a burning candle, is pleading with police for answers after their father purportedly left them outdoors to attend a bonfire.
Ophelia and Tarrow, both four years old, are believed to have died from smoke inhalation when a fire broke out on Sunday morning at a Goonengerry ‘off-grid’ commune west of the seaside town.
The tragedy was discovered about 4 a.m. when the girls’ father, James Wright, and his girlfriend went to check on them and discovered them lifeless, with smoke rising from the property.
The girls had been visiting their father – a political activist who was apparently outside at a bonfire when the fire started – as part of their weekend shared parenting arrangement.
Harrowing calls to triple-zero were made pleading for assistance – but it was too late to save them.