In an allergic reaction case, a US family was paid $38.7 million.
A US jury has compensated the family of a woman who suffered brain damage after being treated by an ambulance service in Las Vegas for a serious allergic reaction in 2013.
Chantel Giacalone, then 27, an actor and model, went into anaphylactic shock after biting into a peanut butter-infused pretzel while in Las Vegas for a convention, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
Ms Giacalone’s lawyer, Christian Morris, said that she experienced a brief loss of oxygen to her brain following treatment from MedicWest Ambulance, which was operating the medic station that day.
In a civil complaint, Mr Morris alleged that MedicWest Ambulance was incompetent in treating her allergic reaction.
He contended that none of the two medics on-site that day possessed IV epinephrine, an adrenaline drug prescribed by the Southern Nevada Health District for serious allergic reactions. The provision, according to testimony during a three-week trial, was defined by a task force on which the company serves.
Mr Morris stated that medics administered epinephrine intramuscularly instead of IVs, but IVs are needed for complete anaphylaxis.
He contended that the medication cost just US$2.42 ($3.18). The case sought more than US$60 million ($78.7 million) in compensatory damages for medical costs and emotional distress.
MedicWest denied any wrongdoing and claimed that the result was unavoidable due to Ms Giacalone’s elevated peanut sensitivity. Ms Giacalone, attorney William Drury contended, never lost consciousness.
“At the very least, my daughter will be looked after. I’m relieved,” father Jack Giacalone said after the verdict’s reading.
“I’m not pleased with all the anguish we’ve endured over the last eight years. I just hope that MedicWest changes its ways.”